Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Bad Karma Pincushion

I wanted to practice my embroidery stitches yesterday, but I ran into a couple of setbacks. I'm on a limited income, so most of what I learn comes from either a book from the library, or the internet. I haven't been able to get to the library in a while, and for some unknown reason, there's a sparse selection of free beginner embroidery patterns on the internet. I don't know if I'm using the wrong search terms, or what. I just know I haven't had much luck finding a simple embroidery project to do. If anyone has some sites to share for a real beginner here, please do!

I finally found a cute idea for a pincushion to decorate with embroidery stitches, complete with a beautiful PDF file to print the pattern from. Problem number two: My printer ran out of ink. On Memorial Day. R-i-i-i-g-h-t. I figured out a solution to that problem. I used my laptop screen as a light-box, and traced my pattern onto a piece of white notebook paper using a felt-tipped marker. I felt pretty proud of myself for that!

The whole time I was embroidering my newest pincushion, I couldn't help but think to myself: 'Am I asking for bad karma here by making this?' Now that's he's finished, I've decided that he's too cute to worry about, though I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to stick a pin into him. So with no further ado, please meet my 'Bad Karma VooDoo Doll Pincushion'.


Kind of cute, don't you think? And I can see an improvement in my stitch-work. A friend actually thought the heart I did in a satin stitch was a fabric applique! I'm now working on a new embroidery sampler to use as a pincushion. New stitches to try, no pattern this time!


                                                       Happy crafting!


No comments: